Wednesday, November 09, 2011

Re-think Christmas!--Light a "Green" Tree


Now don't get me wrong, I'm not a scrooge, and I love ----absolutely LOVE the smell of fresh pine, but as the world's population gets larger and larger and we consume more and more, we need to start thinking about and why we use something. That is why I think that we should re-think cutting down trees for Christmas. In the old days it made sense--we brought a pine tree into the home to remind us that the sun was going to return, that spring would be here soon. We did this over the solstice -the longest night of the year--and we would light it with candles (yes we used to do that for real) and we would burn a yule log in the fire as well to remind us that even in the coldest nights the sun (and warmth) will return.
Well, I think we need to rethink that a bit. According to the global post we cut down 36 MILLION trees for Christmas each and every year. Think of that for a second--more than a second--think about that, and keep it in your mind.
Remember what I said earlier about how if we don't do something pretty soon, we won't have any more rainforests. Rainforests for the most part are responsible for ALL AIR on the PLANET. My response to that was to have everyone plant something ANYTHING that could clean the air.
We grow Christmas trees on land that could have forest on it. We clear cut trees for 2-4 weeks out of the year (or less if you procrastinate), and then...............we throw them away.........tons and tons of trees............frocked, tinsled, and left for the garbage pickup person.
We need to rethink Christmas. I think next year I am going to make a new tradition. I am going to gather my friends and family and we are going to go on a Christmas day hike. We will sit or stand (depending on how wet and muddy things are) under the trees and hug and dance around them. Heck..........I may even try to find some battery operated christmas lights..........we will light the tree ---deck the halls-----take some photos------drink some egg nog and brandy and then take all the stuff down and put it in a box for next year-------

yeah. I'm going to re-think Christmas. Heck. I think I'm going to start this tradition this year.
Like the photo of trees above? see Artshop.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Thanks for commenting on the COMPOST THIS! blog. We will review your message and post it as quickly as possible!