Thursday, June 09, 2011

Huevos! How to get More Out of your Breakfast!

Photo by Compost This! Ingrid's Garden, Denver, Colorado
(Ingrid sells vegetable/herb seedlings for the Denver Farmer's Market! Check out her website! Ingrid's Garden Seedlings!)
Egg shells can add calcium to your soil. Certain plants : Tomatoes and peppers really like calcium and tend to produce more fruit (and fruit without blossum rot) when they have adequate calcium uptake.

This last winter I saved all of my egg shells in a freezer bag. Today I'm going to take them all out, spread them out on a cookie sheet and bake them at 350 F for 10 minutes. Then I'll let them cool and and grind them up a bit. You could put them in a spice / coffeegrinder if you have an extra one handy. This weekend, I'll sprinkle the shells around the area where my tomatoes are!
WATCH OUT! soon you'll have lushious tomatoes and peppers.


TomatoThe Heirloom Tomato: From Garden to Table: Recipes, Portraits, and History of the World's Most Beautiful Fruit


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Thanks for commenting on the COMPOST THIS! blog. We will review your message and post it as quickly as possible!