Friday, January 21, 2011

Organic Seed Dreamin'--Cucumbers!

Organic GardeningRodale's Ultimate Encyclopedia of Organic Gardening: The Indispensable Green Resource for Every GardenerThe Gardener's A-Z Guide to Growing Organic Food


I got my Seed Saver's catalog in the mail.  Gotta' love Seed Savers!  Based in Iowa they have made it their mission to collect heirloom varieties of vegetable seeds.  I'm looking at a Japanese climbing cucumber for my apartment garden.  Garden UP! 

I'm going to try two varieties of cucumbers this year.....Japanese Climber and Russian Pickling--being a gardener in Seattle, I've found that Russian varieties of vegetables tend to do well here (shorter growing season).  I'm hoping that between the two of them I'll be set for pickles and sliced cucumber all summer long this year!


Easy Japanese Pickling in Five Minutes to One Day: 101 Full-Color Recipes for Authentic Tsukemono
The Complete Book of Pickling: 250 Recipes from Pickles and Relishes to Chutneys and Salsas

Oh what I would give for a fresh, sun-warmed cucumber from the garden.  Seed Saver's has 20 varieties of cukes to choose from! So, now I've figured out what I'm going to get with regards to cukes.......next time?  Tomatoes!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Thanks for commenting on the COMPOST THIS! blog. We will review your message and post it as quickly as possible!